Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chicken & Broccolini in a Ginger Tangeriene Teriyaki

This past Christmas Mitch bought me a wok.  It's one of my new favorite toys.  I love making curries with it, but last night I made a stir fry that I shared with my 15 month old daughter.  She LOVED it.  Apparently toddlers love running around the house with cooked Udon noodles.

The sauce for this dish is directly inspired by a Clementine Teriyaki sauce I found on Vegan Yum Yum.  I used a mandarin tangeriene and added some ginger powder to the sauce.  Also, I used a bit more juice so I could cut the sugar down a bit.  I like the Tamari sauce in place of soy sauce because it not only decreases sodium, but has a richer flavor than plain old soy sauce.  If you can't find Tamari sauce, you can always use a low sodium soy sauce instead. 
Ingredients:
½ cup Tamari Sauce
¼ cup sugar
juice from one tangerine
zest from one tangerine
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup water
1 tsp ginger powder
1tbsp safflower oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 pkg broccolini
1 lb diced chicken breast
1 pkg Udon noodles

Directions:
Bring a pot of about 8 quarts of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Add Udon noodles to water and boil for 8 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water and reserve. Whisk Tamrai Sauce, sugar, tangerine juice & zest, rice wine vinegar, water and ginger together to make teriyaki sauce. Heat sauce in a small pan and simmer for about 20 minutes. Cool and reserve sauce.

Cut broccolini into bite sized pieces. Heat oils in a large saute pan or wok over medium high heat. Add broccolini, chicken, salt & pepper to taste, a couple tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce. Stir fry until chicken pieces are almost cooked through. Add Udon noodles and a few more tablespoons of the remaining sauce and stir fry another couple minutes. Serve drizzled with teriyaki sauce on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment