Thursday, February 3, 2011

Breaded Chicken Thighs

I am by far not a rich woman.  My best recipes usually come from creative thinking on a tight budget.  When I can't afford pork chops or chicken breasts, I turn to the wonderful, flavorful chicken thigh.  

I use chicken thighs due to not only their frugality, but wealth of flavor.  Dark meat absorbs vast amounts flavor quickly when you are on a time crunch, and give any dish that slow-cooked feel.  

Tonight I used the tried and true breading-searing-roasting method, and paired my thighs with Tomato Basil Parsnips.


Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2eggs
splash milk
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup italian panko breadcrumbs (recommended: Ian's)
3 tbsp olive oil
1tbsp butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Lightly whisk milk and eggs together in a bowl and set on counter next to a separate bowl containing the breadcrumbs. Between 2 sheets of plastic wrap pound the hell out of the chicken thighs. Season thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Dip each thigh into the eggs and then into the breadcrumbs. Melt the butter into the oil in a saute pan or skillet. Sear the thighs in the saute pan or skillet over medium high heat on each side for 2-3 minutes. Place seared thighs in a baking dish and bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until thighs are cooked through.

2 comments:

  1. Drew's asking when we're having this for dinner. I told him we have to find gluten-free Panko. The search is on!

    Either that, or he suffers even worse than I do . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use mashed up gluten-free crackers.

    ReplyDelete