Thursday, February 3, 2011

Southwest Quiche Lorraine

I love bacon.  I love quiche.  I make one quiche a week so that I can quickly heat up a slice and eat it on my way to work.  Most of the quiches I make consist of whatever veggies I have in the fridge left over from other recipes.  I usually cook with turkey bacon and egg whites to cut calories, but Mitch brought home some thick cut pork bacon, so I figured, what the hell, may as well use the whole egg!  

You can simply grate the swiss and fan it out on the bottom to make a traditional quiche, but I like to cube it up so that there are tasty bits of gooey cheese running throughout my quiche.  I use a store bought pie shell mostly in the interest of saving time.  If you live near a natural food store you can find a wide array of pie shells to choose from.  I've used wheat, spelt, and gluten-free, but, well, this one is a traditional full-fat shell because we are cooking with bacon... mmmm bacon.

Ingredients:
1 store bought pie shell
1 tsp safflower oil
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup onion chopped
½ jalepeno pepper minced
½ serrano pepper minced
½ cup green pepper chopped
1/3 cup red pepper chopped
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp salt + 1 pinch
pepper to taste
6 eggs
¼ cp milk
dash of hot sauce
1 cup diced swiss cheese (real small cubes)
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2-1 cup crisp crumbled bacon (cooled)

Directions:
Preheat stove to 350 and blind bake pie shell for 15 minutes. (I weigh it down with a glass bowl that's lightly greased with safflower oil on the bottom.) Remove pie shell from oven and let cool. Render bacon and then set aside on a plate with paper towels to cool. Saute onion and peppers in olive oil with a pinch of salt over medium high heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Add all spices to the pan and saute for another couple minutes. Set vegetable aside to cool. Shred bacon into bits. Cut swiss cheese into tiny cubes. In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs, milk and hot sauce. Mix cooled veggies and bacon into eggs. Pour mixture into cooled pie shell and cook at 350 foe 25 minutes or until eggs in center are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment